Food and Mouth Disease Resources
FMD Quick Information
- Handout (1 page): English I Spanish
- Factsheet (9 pages): English | Spanish
- USDA Quick Briefing (13 pages): English
- Watch video: What Dairy Producers Need to Know: English (9:13 mins) I Spanish (9:23 mins)
- Download video: What Dairy Producers Need to Know: English (488mb) | Spanish (523mb)
- Website: FMDInfo.org
USDA APHIS Resources
- USDA-APHIS FMD website
- FMD Response Plan “The Red Book” (October 2020)
- EPA-registered Disinfectants for FADs
- FAD PReP website (Foreign Animal Disease Preparedness and Response Plan)
- FAD PReP/NAHEMS Guidelines: Appendix A: Vaccination for Foot-and-Mouth Disease describes the disease-specific strategies and general considerations related to the use of vaccine as an aid to control an outbreak of FMD in the U.S.
- FAD PReP Dairy Industry Manual provides a broad overview of U.S. dairy production methods and the procedures that may be used in the event of a highly contagious FAD outbreak.
Center for Food Security and Public Health (CFSPH), Iowa State University Resources
- CFSPH FMD website includes FMD fact sheets, disease images, a PowerPoint presentation, vaccination guidelines, and many other resources
- Classification of Phases and Types of an FMD Disease Outbreak and Response aids rapid decision making to facilitate response planning and development of business continuity plans in the event of an FMD outbreak in the U.S. or North America.
- FMD Pocket Guide: Cattle and Wall Chart
- FMD Vaccine Surge Capacity for Emergency Use in the U.S. reviews the challenges of controlling FMD in the U.S. and provides potential solutions to meet the surge capacity need for FMD vaccine in an extensive outbreak.
- Inactivation of FMD Virus in Milk Products literature review funded by the U.S. Dairy Export Council that summarizes the inactivation of FMDV in milk and milk products.